Iran

Iran’s Air Force Chief Threatens to Destroy Israel, After Quds Force Attack on Golan Heights

Following a weekend that saw Israel retaliate for an Iranian attack on the Golan Heights, Iran’s air force chief said that his forces were ready to fight a war culminating in “Israel’s disappearance,” The Times of Israel reported Monday.

“We’re ready for the decisive war that will bring about Israel’s disappearance from the earth. Our young airmen are prepared for the day when Israel will be destroyed,” Brig. Gen. Aziz Nasirzadeh said in remarks made during an interview with a state-owned media site.

Nasirzadeh was appointed head of Iran’s air force this past August.

His remarks come just hours after Israel retaliated for an attempted rocket attack by Iran-backed forces on the Golan Heights.

According to the IDF, members of Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps (IRGC) – Quds Force fired a rocket towards the Golan Heights. The rocket was intercepted by Israel’s Iron Dome system.

The rocket attack followed a rare Israeli daytime attack against Iranian positions in Syria.

Israel subsequently retaliated against Syrian and Iranian positions in Syria.

Twenty-one military personnel were reported killed by the Syrian Observatory for Human Rights in the Israeli strikes. According to the Observatory, twelve of those killed were members of the IRGC, six were Syrian soldiers and the remaining three were fighters from other nations.

The Israeli raids caused one of the highest death tolls of the raids Israel has undertaken to fight Iran’s entrenchment in Syria. In May of last year, 23 were reported killed after Israel targeted dozens of Iranian installations in Syria following the firing of 30 rockets into Israel.

According to the IDF, Monday’s raids destroyed Iranian intelligence sites, training bases, and arms depots belonging to the Quds Force.

“We understand that the Iranians are trying to change the context and deter us from our policy and our strategy of fighting Iranian troops in Syria,” IDF Spokesperson Ltc. Jonathan Conricus said. “They thought they could change the rules of engagement. Our response was a rather clear one, with a message to Iran and Syria that our policies have not changed.”

He also explained that Israel had been planning attacks on the sites targeted for months based on intelligence the IDF had gathered.

[Photo: Tasnim News ]